Monday, November 21, 2011

Research Citations

“Until World War I, few women other than prostitutes ventured into saloons and barooms” (Zeitz, 2006, p. 6).

Zeitz, J. (2006).  Flapper: A madcap story of sex, style, celebrity, and the women who made America modern. New York: Crown.

Since my research topic involves the “flapper” culture of the 1920s, I thought it would be appropriate to use a book written entirely on the subject of flappers.  I t seems to be a pretty credible source, since it provides a lot of information on the topic and discusses the historical background that preceded the flapper era.  The only trouble I might have with this source is that the author quotes a lot of other sources, so I may have to try to find the original source if I want to cite something that is second-hand information.  I might use this quote when describing what life was like for women prior to the flapper era.



“The stereotypical flapper was a slender, fashionable, opinionated girl who partied hard, smoked and drank heavily, and flaunted her sexuality in ways considered shocking at the time” (DiPaolo, 2007).

DiPaolo, B. (2007, July 2). Flappers: frivolous time-wasters or America’s new liberated women? Issues & Controversies in American History. Retrieved November 21, 2011, from Issues & Controversies in American History database.

This source has a vast amount of information on flappers and the flapper era that I think could be very useful for my paper. Though it is not a journal article or book, it still appears to be a credible source because the author cites all information that comes from outside sources. The lengthy bibliography included at the end of the article might also be beneficial in finding more information relating to my topic as well.  I might use this quote when describing the typical behaviors of the common flapper.

No comments:

Post a Comment